Saturday, May 10, 2008

Gyro Fix



I love a good gyro. It is easily my favorite sandwich. Or, maybe I just love tzatziki and the gyro is merely a more socially acceptable yet calorie-ridden way for me to ingest said sauce rather than from a tub with a spoon. Either way, I tend to abstain from authentic lamb gyros all year until it's time for the Hartford Greek festival in early June. But, Christmas came early this year when my boyfriend James, who happens to be Greek, suggested we go to a festival in Waterbury.

Apparently it's held every year during Mother's Day Weekend, but this was my first time going. Waterbury's a bit of a hike from my house but James was driving, so I was completely on board. Unfortunately the weather sucked, for lack of a better word, and I was fighting off a nasty cold. But the food was good and cheap, just the way I like it.

We each got lamb gyros with the works: tomatoes, onions, and tzatziki sauce. They were HUGE (see picture). Way bigger than the ones at the Hartford Greek festival. I think this might have had something to do with the 11 year old boys who made them for us. At $7 it was definitely a deal. They had six spits going, which is a ton of lamb. But it was done just right. We also got one spanakopita (spinach pie) and one tiropita (cheese pie). They were $3.75 and $3.25 each. The spanakopita was ok. I think I like Hartford's better. They give you bigger portions and it isn't as salty. I had never had tiropita before, which is made from a mixture of feta and farmer's cheese. It was also incredibly salty, but tasty.

We were so full after downing those massive gyros, but you can't come to the Greek festival without having dessert. I got a piece of galactobouriko, which is custard wrapped in filo and covered with honey syrup. I had it a couple of years ago at the Hartford Greek festival and loved it. They were sold out when I went last year, so when I saw it on the menu here I had to get it. They gave me a huge piece, well worth the $3.00, and it was still nice and warm. James got a piece of baklava, which was much smaller than the galactobouriko, for $2.50.

Once we finished eating, we walked around the festival a little bit. There wasn't much to see. It was pouring outside and everything was under a big ( and slightly leaky) tent. James noted that "Every Greek festival has the same things: There's the person selling jewelery, a booth selling icons, a raffle with a trip to Greece, which I always enter but never win..." He has a point. I, of course, come strictly for the food. And now that I've had my gyro fix I can move on to some moussaka or pastitsio at the next Greek festival. I've heard that New Britain has a smaller one at the end of May, which we'll definitely be hitting up. Ya sou!

No comments: