Friday, August 14, 2009

Pizza Margherita


I saw Julie & Julia a couple days ago and of course it inspired me to get cooking again. I've slacked off lately because James works at a restaurant and usually brings home delicious stuff at the end of the day. But, after watching the film I decided to get back into my groove. First up? My own spin on margherita pizza. Yes, my boyfriend works at a pizza place, but it's Greek-style pizza. This one was different, I swear!

At my place in Boston, the pizza stone has become a popular kitchen accessory. I made a delicious margherita pizza two months ago and decided to give it a whirl back here in CT. Though I was pizza stone-less, the results were still quite tasty. The secret is letting the tomatoes marinate for at least four hours. That way they really take on the flavor of the basil, olive oil, garlic and seasonings.

10 or so grape tomatoes halved
1/3 C EVOO
1 clove garlic, minced
5 fresh basil leaves, sliced.
S&P to taste
dash red pepper flakes.

I'd suggest using your own discretion with the seasonings. I like my food a little spicy, so I add a liberal amount of red pepper. The only think I wouldn't slack on is the fresh basil. It makes all the difference.

No comments: