Friday, August 14, 2009

Saucy Toffee


You know that giddy feeling you get when you make something new AND it turns out fantastic? That's what happened when I made Nigella Lawson's Sticky Toffee Sauce--or maybe it was just the sugar. Either way, this stuff is to die for. Even James was raving about it, and it usually takes a lot to get him excited about food. I guess it's because he's swimming in pizzas all day :) Anyway, not only is this sticky toffee sauce incredible, it's easy. My favorite. I can't wait to make it again, even if it means not being able to zip up my skinny jeans. So worth it.

Sticky Toffee Sauce

* 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
* 3/4 stick unsalted butter
* 2/3 cup heavy cream



Put the sugar, syrup and butter in a pan and slowly bring to the boil, allowing the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve. Let the mixture bubble for a couple of minutes before carefully adding the cream. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the sauce is thick, sticky and glossy.

I freaked out when my sauce didn't seem to be turning thick and glossy, but not to worry! Once I turned off the heat, it came together like gangbusters. I also added a pinch of salt to the mix during the cooking process. Next time I'll add a little more though to really get that salty n' sweet flavor--alternatively, I wonder what would happen if I used salted instead of unsalted butter?

I served the sauce warm over chilled bowls of vanilla haagen daz. The sauce starts melting the ice cream right away, so I suggest pre-scooping your dishes and sticking them in the freezer for a bit before adding the sauce.

No comments: