Thursday, June 10, 2010

WTF is up with dudes?

Enter Scene:

"You're just very direct," Katie said.
I looked up from my computer screen, where I was in the midst of composing a message to a dude. A dude who, on multiple occasions, stated that I made him quite nervous. The message read:

Yo. When are we gonna hang out again? You aren't still nervous, are you?

"Really?" I asked.
"Really. Guys don't know how to handle that."

Lame.

I was reminded of this so-called 'directness' the other day when I was watching Pride and Prejudice for the 80 billionth time. When Darcy and Lizzie dance for the first time, Lizzie breaks Darcy's awkward silence: "It is your turn to say something now, Mr. Darcy. I talked about the dance, and you ought to make some kind of remark on the size of the room, or the number of couples."

You know Darcy would have just let the whole dance continue in silence. 'Cause he's a dude. Granted, P&P is nothing more than one big girlie wet dream, but still. I'd like to think there's someone out there (preferably someone with a large country estate) who appreciates a little bit of directness in a lady.


No comments: