Friday, July 23, 2010

I Give Up

Recently, I was having a discussion about less-than-stellar boy behavior with a friend when she brought up something a co-worker had told her: "After my breakup I expected every guy to treat me like a girlfriend." This was given as a way to explain why a guy doesn't call/disappears/actslikeadouche/blahblahblah

Wait, what?

Maybe it's just me but...I don't think not being someone's girlfriend and still expecting to be treated with respect is mutually exclusive. I know at least a few guys who would agree with me as well. But, what bothers me most about this statement is it is yet another example of smart women making apologies for stupid men. Ladies, it's ok to expect someone to treat you like a human being, regardless of whether or not you're in a relationship (yet). You aren't being too demanding--it's called common courtesy and way too many dudes don't practice it. Just sayin'. 'Cause if this is the benchmark we're supposed to work with I might as well call it quits right now.

Thank God for Jon Hamm and this quote from a recent interview with Time on the differences between the men of the 1960s and today:

"There's a cordialness that men had when dealing with the opposite sex, even when they were being blatantly sexist. It's a weird conundrum. But that's been replaced with men treating women like absolute garbage and not even being polite about it, which is too bad."

No comments: