Thursday, May 13, 2010

A lotta Lattes (sorry)

I have a thing about lattes. They are the perfect drink. I keep a mental list of the best lattes I've had. Before today it was as follows:

1.) That latte I had at that place in Carmel, CA three years ago.

2.) The South End Buttery's lattes
3.) The Lavender latte from Chocopologie in Norwalk, CT
4.) Uh...something in London?


You see, not all lattes are created equal. In fact, most of the time they're crap--especially the bastardized version Starbucks sells. Luckily, here in Boston there is a beavy of impossibly cute cafes with authentic espresso machines. Today I went to one such place: Flour in the South End. It's a short walk from Katie's, which will prove to be a problem once I move in. I got a soy latte, since I'm lactose intolerant. The soymilk they use was perfect (I'm guessing it was unsweetened) and made just the right amount of airy, foamy goodness. My big gripe with Starbucks is the soymilk they use. It's just gross. Super sweet. And, usually it tastes kind of, well, burnt. Plus, those lattes aren't cheap--esp. after the extra charge for the soy milk. Flour's was the same price, for a bigger, better drink. Coupled with a giant vegan vanilla berry muffin top, it was a perfect way to start the day. I think Flour just may top the mental list.

No comments: